More than 50 years ago Monsignor James F. Burnes, the original pastor of St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church, dreamed of providing the parish with an education based in Catholic teachings. It was through Msgr. Burnes’ determination and the support of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas and the St. Elizabeth Church that St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic School opened its doors on September 12, 1958 with 29 kindergarten and first grade students. The Oblate Missionaries of the Immaculate helped to establish the new parish school in portable buildings. Second and third grades were added with an enrollment of 62 for the 1959-1960 school year.
Because of the continued support of St. Elizabeth Church, larger and more modern facilities were built and dedicated in 1962, at which time, the school graduated its first eighth grade class. Volunteer Missionary Teachers took the place of the Oblate Missionaries, and they continued to manage the school until 1964. In the spring semester of 1964, the School Sisters of Notre Dame arrived at St. Elizabeth and would staff the school until the summer of 1983. Phase two of the school construction began in 1964 with Msgr. Burnes and Sr. Mary Edmond, SSND serving on the construction board. Seven new classrooms and a library were part of this addition, which was supported by piers. The area below the extension was left bare and served as a parking lot for the school and church. Eight additional classrooms were added to the area underneath the school as well as a connecting gymnasium in 1984. Since 1983, lay principals and primarily lay faculty have staffed the school.
With the support of our pastor, the Rev. Russell Mower, and the church, continued support and subsidy is provided by the parish to maintain Catholic education for children of the parish as a primary ministry of St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church. www.stelizabethdallas.org