Dear St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic School Parents,
By now each of you has had a moment or two to relax and enjoy the first few days of summer. Please read the enclosed information carefully and keep a copy handy for future reference during the early days of the new 2016-2017 school year.
- Summer Office Hours — The summer office hours will be as follows:
- June 27 – July 1 Vacation Bible School
- June 30 – July 1: 7 am – 4 pm for tuition payments
- July 4: School Office CLOSED for 4th of July Holiday
- July 5-29 Mon-Thurs: 8 am-4 pm Closed Friday’s in July
- July 23-July 26: School Office will be CLOSED for floor refinishing
- July 31: Parker Uniform & Used Uniform Sale– 9:00 a.m. -12:00 pm.
- Aug. 1: School Office officially reopens 8 am – 3 pm
- Aug. 14: New Parent Orientation – 2-3 pm, Gym
- Aug. 14: Pre-School/Kinder Roundup – 2-3 pm, Cafeteria
- Aug. 14: Back to School Open House– Classrooms open at 1-4 pm
- Aug. 15: First Day of School
- Aug. 16: 6th /7th Grade Parent Night, 6:30 pm
- Aug. 17: 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade Parent Night 6:30 pm
- Aug. 18: 1st /2nd Grade Parent Night, 6:30 pm
- Sept. 2: Noon Dismissal
- Sept 5: LABOR DAY/NO SCHOOL
- Oct. 5-7: 8th Grade Awakening Retreat at the Pines Catholic Camp
- April 25-28: 5th Grade Environment Field Trip to the Pines Camp
If you should have any Admissions questions or know someone who would like to tour the school, please call (214) 331-5139, Extension 21 and leave a message or email Sandy Walkley at firstname.lastname@example.org or Vernon Mullen at email@example.com. Both Mrs. Walkley and Mr. Mullen will be checking messages and emails daily and will return all calls and emails as expediently as possible!
As of June 1, 2016, if you have not funded your tuition from the Texas Catholic Credit Union, you will no longer qualify for the 11-month payment plan . All tuition and other outstanding fees must be paid by July 1, 2016 to ensure your child a place on the class list for the new school year.
- Tuition – As of June 1, 2016, if you have not funded your tuition from the Texas Catholic Credit Union, you will no longer qualify for the 11-month payment plan shorter terms are available. All tuition and other outstanding fees must be paid by July 1, 2016 to ensure your child a place on the class list for the new school year.
- Calendar— The St. Elizabeth 2016-2017 school calendar magnet will go home the first week of school. The first day of school is Monday, August 15, 2016.
- Volunteers & Safe Environment Program – St. Elizabeth School is in compliance with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas Safe Environment Program. All volunteers to St. Elizabeth School must complete the program which consists of the following:
- Screening Form (used to run a criminal background check)
- $15.00 Background Check fee made payable to St. Elizabeth School
- Acknowledgement Form
- Reference Check
- Yearly Training
All paperwork and background checks must go through Mrs. Campos, the school’s safe environment officer. Instructions are available upon request. We ask for a minimum of 25 hours per family for the success of each school year.
- New Parent Orientation – We will hold a New Parent Orientation in the school gym at 2 pm on Sunday, August 14th. This will be an opportunity to find out about the general policies and procedures of our school.
- Kinder/Pre-School Roundup – This will be held on Sunday, August 14, 2016, at 2 pm in the school cafeteria. Teachers will inform parents on procedures, academics, and behavioral expectations and answer any questions you may have. Please mark your calendars and make every effort to be present for this very important meeting!
- Open House – We will host a Back to School Day on Sunday, August 14th, from 1 – 4 pm. At this time you will have the opportunity to bring school supplies, find out to what homeroom your child has been assigned as well as to meet the teacher. We ask that you please not call the school prior to August 14h to find out class assignments.
- Kindergarten and Pre-School First Day of School – Pre-School and Kindergarten classes will begin school on Monday, August 15 and Tuesday, August 16. To make the transition easier for the children, students whose last names begin with the letters A through L will come to school on Monday, August 15th. Students whose last names begin with the letters M through Z will come on Tuesday, August 16th. All students will come for a full school day on Wednesday, August 17th.
- Booster Club: You will have the opportunity to join the Booster Club on the Back to School day, Sunday, August 14, 2017.
- Immunizations –NO STUDENT may attend classes at St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic School without a complete immunization record. Parents will be called to pick up their child if proof of immunizations are not supplied to the clinic by the second day of school.
- Uniforms –Pre-Kinder students ARE required to wear the uniform. The Parker Uniform Sale will be held on Sunday, July 31, from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. The Family Volunteer Organization will have a Used Uniform Sale in conjunction with the Parker Uniform Sales on that same day.
- Lunch – For the 2016-17 school year, Twelve Oaks Catering will continue to provide hot lunch service for our students. Lunch service will begin on the first day of school, Monday, August 15th, and pricing for the lunches will be $3.25 per meal and $0.50 for a carton of milk or 100% juice. All questions regarding the program can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Please set up an account as we have found through experience that emergencies arise such as forgotten lunches, and instead of calling a parent at work, the child can simply purchase a lunch on account.
- After Care Program – We will continue to offer this service at a cost of $12 for the first child and $6 for any siblings. Mrs. Barrientos will continue to serve as the ACP Director for next year. Miss Aranda and Mrs. Aillon will serve as her assistants.
- Placards – All families new to St. Elizabeth School will be able to pick up their identification placard for the car line during Back to School Day on August 14th. This needs to be visible in the front left dash or visor ALL drivers must use the placards. Any returning family who needs a new placard, please email Mrs. Walkley by August 4, 2016 with your request at email@example.com.
- Academics –
- Curriculum: St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic School follows the Diocese of Dallas Standards-Based Curriculum. This curriculum is designed to prepare our students to be productive, moral citizens ready to meet the future challenges of the 21st Century. This curriculum may be viewed online by going to: www.cso-dallas.org
- Character Development: In addition, to our school Religion program, we incorporate the philosophy of the “Highly Effective Teaching (HET)” learning model. This learning model, has two main goals: to create responsible, participating citizens and to help educators translate current brain research into practical strategies for the classroom.
- Early Childhood: Our Early Childhood Developmental Education Programs (PK3-4) implement the early literacy program called LEAPS, in conjunction with the Open Court Reading Program and “The Investigator Club” Pre-Kindergarten Learning System which is Science based, drawing on the child’s sense of curiosity, and seamlessly integrates ten critical domains of learning.
- Reading: Open Court Reading programs coupled with a diagnostic program which will track your child’s progress in terms of important skills from Kindergarten through 4th grade. Benchmark assessments will be conducted 5 times throughout the school year. In addition, to classroom instruction in Reading our 5th -8th graders use the Accelerated Reader online program.
- Math: Our 1 st -8 th grade students will be using online supplemental Math programs to help strengthen their competencies in basic Math skills and concepts: IXL for students in grades 1- 4 and Khan Academy for grades 5 – 8.
- Honors: Honors classes are offered to students at the Middle School level, based on student qualifications and when enrollment allows. For the 2016-2017 school year, we will be offering both Middle School Academic and Honors classes in Reading/Literature, Math/Science and Art/Music.
- Reading Interventions: We will continue to offer the SRA Reading Intervention program for students who qualify, and will be providing “Take Flight”, a more intense training to students with special learning differences in Reading, based on the method used at Scottish Rite Hospital. Miss. Anna Duesing, will be giving the classes at St. Elizabeth School during the upcoming school year. She is certified to teach the Take Flight Program. She will be inviting all the parents of students who qualify for either one of these Reading Intervention programs to a meeting in early September. There will be a cost of $375.00 per semester for the “Take Flight” program.
- Technology: PK-8th We will continue to integrate Technology into the instructional program in all of the classes at St. Elizabeth School, including computers, Smartboards, and iPads.
- Parent/Student Handbook –There will be a few policy changes made to the Parent/Student Handbook prior to the beginning of the new school year. Handbooks can be accessed via a download by parents through Renweb. Parents are expected to read and discuss the entire handbook with their children and electronically sign the signature page.
- Back to School Nights– During the first few weeks of the 2016-2017 school year, there will be a series of “Back to School” Nights based on individual grade levels, whereby the homeroom teachers will be meeting with the parents to share important information regarding their instructional program and expectations for the year. These meetings are intended for the parents. Child Care will be provided.
- Summer Math and Reading Student Assignments – Students entering into grades K – 8 will be asked to complete a Math assignment, using an online program called Ten Marks, over the summer. In addition, students will be given a summer reading list and asked to complete a reading assignment over the summer, as well.
- Opening Liturgy – Please join us in celebrating our opening liturgy, the Mass of the Holy Spirit, on Friday, August 19, 2016 at 8 am! Everyone is welcome and invited to be there!
We are looking forward to a terrific year in 2016-2017! Have a wonderfully safe, relaxing. And blessed summer!
Rachel Dzurilla, M.A.T., Principal